About a month ago we introduced you to the adorable duo we’ve been calling The Gas Station Puppies. How’d we get these nuggets? Vacationing staff member Lorrie swooped in when she saw the two much-too-young puppies being given away outside a gas station in Avenal, 185 miles northwest of Los Angeles.
Just five weeks old, the pups, now named Ava and Nala (see what we did there?), went to one of our volunteer foster homes. They’ve been raised with gentle big dogs and exposed to kids, cats, and visitors — these two girls are very well socialized!
If you’re hoping to adopt one of them:
• Call us on TUESDAY (June 1) to request an adoption appointment, beginning at 10:00 a.m. Leave us a voicemail: 209-736-9417. We will return calls later that morning. No earlybird calls, please; we will only check voicemails left at 10:00 a.m. or later on Tuesday.
• Adoption appointments will be scheduled for WEDNESDAY at our Angels Camp adoption center. You will need to be available for an appointment sometime between 11:00 and 4:00. Sorry, but we cannot hold a puppy for you to come in on a different day.
• You will be able to take your puppy home the same day. You will need to bring her back to us on Sunday 6/20 for spay surgery the following day, and pick up again on Monday 6/21 or Tuesday 6/22. PLEASE consider this if you’re from out of the area. We welcome adopters from anywhere, but keep in mind that you’ll be making the drive three times altogether.
• The spay surgery date is non-negotiable. We already have the appointments, which are very hard to get right now, scheduled. It jeopardizes our relationship with our veterinarian when adopters cancel or attempt to change them. Make sure you can honor the drop-off and pickup commitment as-is before deciding to adopt.
• A $100 deposit (cash or check only) will be required in addition to the $145 adoption fee. The $100 deposit will be refunded to you when your puppy is brought back to us to be spayed.
• There has been a tremendous amount of interest in these puppies. We wish we had enough of them to make everybody happy! We will post an update on Tuesday once both the adoption appointment slots have been filled.
Sorry, but we never adopt littermate puppies together, so it’s not possible to adopt both. For a closer look at why we have this policy, please check out the following link: