Spay & Neuter Help
To obtain discount spay/neuter vouchers call us at 209-736-9417 to receive one by postal mail. Please do not email us to obtain vouchers. You may also pick up vouchers at our office in San Andreas during business hours at 576 East St. Charles St., or at Calaveras Animal Services located at 891 Mountain Ranch Road, San Andreas. You must present the voucher at the time of your veterinary appointment. It is your responsibility to pay the remaining charge for the surgery.
Why Spay or Neuter Your Pet?
- Spaying and neutering prevents pet population explosion. A roaming male dog or cat can impregnate several females in heat in a single day.
- Neutered/spayed pets are less aggressive and less likely to bite and fight.
- Neutered/spayed pets (especially males) are less territorial and less likely to roam. 80% of dogs and cats hit by cars are unaltered.
- Neutered males are less likely to mark territory.
- Spayed females will not have heat cycles.
- Neutered males can’t develop testicular tumors (the most common malignancy in males) and have a lower incidence of prostate cancer.
- Spayed females typically stay healthier and live longer. They have a lower incidence of mammary tumors and do not develop uterine or ovarian cancers.
- Spaying and neutering removes the urge to mate, so your pet’s attention is focused more on you.
Calaveras County and Bear Valley Residents – NOW is the time for you to get your dog or cat spayed or neutered! We can help.
The Calaveras Humane Society can help defray some of the expense of spay and neuter operations on dogs and cats. We offer discount vouchers to county residents throughout the year.
Thanks to the Winterceek Grant Foundation and matching funds by CHS, a CHS spay/neuter voucher will pay the following towards your vet bill:
$90 for a female dog
$60 for a female cat
$60 for a male dog
$40 for a male cat
The vouchers are only for Calaveras County and Bear Valley residents and must be used at a Calaveras County veterinarian office. Those wanting to go to veterinarians outside of Calaveras County can still receive a spay/neuter voucher, however the voucher will be worth half of the above rate: $45 for a female dog, $30 for a male dog, $30 for a female cat, and $20 for a male cat.
With assistance from the CHS Spay/Neuter Voucher Program, more than 1,600 dogs and cats were spayed or neutered during the period July 1, 2011 through April 1, 2012. The CHS spent more than $64,000 to help defray the cost for spay/neuter surgeries.
Special Note: The Ryan Newman Foundation and matching funds by the CHS for Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Huskies, Malamutes, Doberman Pinschers, Chow Chows, Akitas, and mixes of these dog breeds has now expired; however, the regular spay and neuter assistance program is available for these breeds.