CHS Frequently Asked Questions

Answers To The Questions We Hear Most Often

If we didn't cover your question, feel free to contact us.

Is the Calaveras Humane Society a “no-kill” shelter?

According to the widely-accepted standards of the shelter industry, yes. Animals stay in our adoption program as long as it takes to find them a loving home and our live release rate typically hovers around 99%.

While the euthanasia of animals is rare, there are times when it is appropriate to end suffering from severe medical issues or to prevent the release of a truly dangerous animal into the community.

Where do you get your animals?

The Calaveras Humane Society receives animals from individuals who are no longer able to care for their pets, and accepts transfers from other shelters that lack placement resources in their area.

Do you take in stray/found animals?

No. By law, the Calaveras Humane Society cannot accept strays. Stray/found animals should be taken to Calaveras County Animal Services.

How long do the animals get to stay at your shelter?

There are no time limits for pets at our adoption center. Animals may remain until a new home is found for them.

What is managed intake? Why can’t I drop off an animal today?

The Calaveras Humane Society has limited space for pets in our adoption center. In order to manage our population effectively, and to ensure that each and every animal gets the attention and care s/he deserves, we require you to make an appointment to surrender your animal. We will place you on our waiting list and contact you when space is available in our shelter. The wait can be anywhere from a couple days to several weeks or more, depending on a number of factors.

Do I need to live in Calaveras County to surrender an animal to you?

Not necessarily, though top priority is given to residents of Calaveras County. We almost always have a waiting list for intake. You are welcome to inquire whether we have space available.

What about horses or livestock?

Our adoption center is only equipped to house small companion animals. Please call us for a referral to a local equine or livestock rescue that may be able to assist you.

What is the adoption process?

You’re welcome to visit our adoption center during our regular business hours to see if one of our animals catches your eye, or view the adoptable animals here on our website. We have get-acquainted rooms available for you to spend time with the pet you’re considering to make sure s/he is a good match. When completing our adoption paperwork, you will need to present a photo I.D. You can pay the adoption fee by cash, check or credit card.

Can you “reserve” a particular pet for me until tomorrow/for an hour/for any period of time?

No. The Calaveras Humane Society cannot place animals on hold by phone or email. Adoptions are done on a first-come, first-served basis to the first qualified individual who comes to our shelter once the animal is available.

Do I get to take my new pet home the same day?

That depends on whether or not the animal is spayed or neutered and/or has received its rabies vaccination. If they are and they have, then yes, you get to take them right home! If the animal is not yet spayed or neutered, they will stay with us and have surgery as soon as we’re able to secure an appointment for them. You’ll be able to pick them up from us the next business day after surgery.

questions answered

What if my pet gets sick after adoption?

You are responsible for all medical care of your pet after the adoption agreement is signed. You will receive copies of all veterinary records with your adoption contract so that your vet will know your pet’s medical history. If we are aware of any health concerns with any of our pets, they will remain in our care until our vet has given a clean bill of health. Many of the middle-aged or senior animals we take in will have received dental work and more before we make them available for adoption.

What if I can no longer keep the pet I adopted from you?

The Calaveras Humane Society has a lifetime commitment to all of our animals. Should any unforeseen situations arise with the adoption party and the animal can no longer be cared for by them, we will always accept the pet back into our organization. However, we likely cannot accommodate a same-day return; you will be placed on our waiting list and contacted when space in our shelter is available.

Can I have my pet spayed or neutered, or get my pet its vaccines, at your facility?

The Calaveras Humane Society does not operate a veterinary clinic. We do offer spay/neuter assistance vouchers to help with the cost of surgery for low-income Calaveras County residents.

What is the difference between the Calaveras Humane Society and Calaveras County Animal Services?

The Calaveras Humane Society is a privately funded, nonprofit animal welfare organization dedicated to the humane care and treatment of homeless companion animals in our area, to helping provide humane and loving homes, and to cultivating respect for the needs of our county’s companion animals. We house only pets and take a limited number of animals from the public and from overcrowded municipal shelters.

Calaveras County Animal Services is the governmental agency that enforces animal control laws and anti-cruelty ordinances, takes in stray animals, rescues animals in distress and responds to animal-related emergencies. It runs the municipal shelter in San Andreas. Animal Services is funded by your tax dollars.

Do my taxes help pay for the work you do at the Calaveras Humane Society?

No. We are a nonprofit organization, and do not receive any government funding. We depend entirely upon donations, bequests, grants, and revenue from our thrift store to cover our operating costs. If you’d like to contribute, we appreciate donations of any size. Every dollar counts!

How do I report a case of animal abuse or neglect?

If you witness or are aware of any form of animal cruelty, neglect, or abuse in Calaveras County, please contact Calaveras County Animal Services at (209) 754-6509. The Calaveras Humane Society does not have the ability or authority to conduct these types of investigations.

What should I do if I find injured wildlife?

The Calaveras Humane Society is a companion animal adoption facility. We do not provide care to local wildlife. If you come across an injured wild animal in Calaveras, Amador, or Eastern San Joaquin Counties, please contact Tri County Wildlife Care.